|“||You're the absolute love of my life, Lena Elizabeth Adams Foster. And nothing will ever, ever, ever, ever change that.||”|
Stef and Lena met prior to the start of the series and have been in a ten year long committed relationship prior to the series, but they soon decided to officially legalize their relationship as a marriage in the episode I Do. Later in the seasons, they did file for divorce, but it was merely a ploy to stall in order to give them enough time to save their house. Fortunately, they do get remarried in The Long Haul.
Stef comforts Lena about the argument she had with her mom.
They realize they have been more distant and try to schedule some alone time. Lena gets mad at Stef for not telling her about giving Lexi the morning after pill, but they soon resolve the problem. At the end of the episode, they get their groove on in the car.
Lena and Stef are seen in the kitchen telling Mariana and Callie that they can go to Wyatt's house. Later, they talk to Mariana about Lexi, as well as Callie about bringing Mariana home drunk.
Lena and Stef are seen talking to the Rivera's about Lexi and how they can help find her, as she ran away.
Stef and Lena are seen arguing about the details of their wedding. They make up when Stef realizes internalized homophobia is keeping her from fully enjoying her wedding. Fortunately, the wedding commences without a hitch.
- Started: Ten-years prior to Pilot
Stef and Lena are parents to five adoptive children together, including Stef's biological son. The couple also attempted to have a daughter together, Lena's first biological child, however, she ultimately miscarried.
|Brandon Foster||Ten-years prior to Pilot||Adopted by Lena|
|Mariana Adams Foster||Unknown: adopted with Jesus||Adopted|
|Jesus Adams Foster||Unknown: adopted with Mariana||Adopted|
|Jude Adams Foster||2014||Adopted|
|Callie Adams Foster||2015||Adopted|
|Francesca Adams Foster||N/A||Unborn: miscarried|
- They had been together for 10 years before getting married. Lena always desired marriage with a partner whereas Stef didn't see the need for it. However, after Stef's shooting, Stef proposed to Lena, much to her joy.
- Following having Brandon, Jesus, and Mariana, they had initially decided against taking in any more children due to lack of space and time for it. But upon growing attached and loving Callie and Jude, they decided to adopt them and make space for them.
- They each have a special bond particularly with either Callie and Jude;
- Lena has an emotionally intimate bond with Jude whereas Stef develops a very child-mother bond with Callie. Ironically, Callie had originally had not trusted Stef due to her being a cop, but she soon begins to trust Stef when seeing she always means well.
- While hesitant to have Lena artificially inseminated, they both were overjoyed when learning the procedure had taken and Lena was pregnant with their first biological baby.
- When Lena lost the child due to Pre-Eclampsia, Lena began to clearly grieve the loss, while Stef initially hid her sadness about the death. However, she soon broke down and wept over losing baby Frankie when stumbling across the child's was-to-be baby blanket, just as Lena called her. She soon admitted to Lena how much she missed the daughter that they lost and never got to know.
- Except for Brandon, all of their children have come through the foster care system.
- Stef is two years older than Lena.
- Stef receives their divorce papers in the mail in The Long Haul when it was revealed that they would lose their house prior to that (they decided to file for divorce in order to have their finances tied up and, therefore, potentially have the buyers back out). They later get married again that same day.