When Callie Jacob first arrived in the Adams Foster household after getting out of juvie, Mariana was off-put by Callie's rough and abrasive attitude. The two had such strong, differing, personalities that they got into many arguments. The two first seemingly formed a bond when Callie kept Mariana's secret about her selling Jesus' pills at school from Steff and Lena. When Stef and Lena decided to fully foster Callie and her younger brother, Jude, Callie was moved into Mariana's room. This led to them fighting more and simultaneously developing a deeper bond. While they continued to argue now and again, they always made their way back to being best friends. Their biggest falling outs concerned Callie's relationship with Brandon, as well as Mariana's inability to keep a secret combined with both girls' lies. As the years passed, the girls only grew closer and referred to one another as sisters, especially after Callie was finally adopted into the family. After graduating college, the girls moved to Los Angeles and became roommates, where they currently are embarking on the next chapter of their lives.
Throughout The Fosters
- Callie and Mariana are seen meeting each other at dinner.
- Callie and Mariana are seen talking when Mariana steals Jesus's pills.
- Callie and Mariana are seen arriving at school.
- Callie and Mariana are seen talking about where Callie was going.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in the morning during breakfast.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in the living room when Stef and Lena were telling everyone the living arrangements.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen talking about Jesus's pills.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in the morning getting ready for school.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in their bedroom talking.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in the kitchen playing games.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in their bedroom arguing about Callie's notebook.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in the living room at movie night.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at dinner when Mariana asked Callie to be in her court.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in their bedroom talking about the Quinceanera.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen getting ready to make their entrance at the Quinceanera.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at the waltz.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at the slideshow presentation.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at Stef and Lena's party.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen cleaning up after the party.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in their bedroom talking to Jude.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in their bedroom talking about Garret.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at the poetry session.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at breakfast.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in their room talking about Wyatt and his party.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen talking to Stef and Lena about going over to Wyatt's.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at the party and they go their separate ways.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at the party when Mariana got drunk.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen at the house trying to sneak upstairs.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen talking to the Rivera's about Lexus.
- Callie and Mariana are both seen in their bedroom when Callie gave Mariana water.
- Callie and Mariana are seen at dinner at the beginning of the episode.
- Callie defends Mariana and Jesus when Brandon yells at them.
- Callie comforts Mariana at the hospital.
- Callie holds Mariana's hand.
- Callie and Mariana are seen when Mariana comforts her about her case.
- Callie and Mariana are seen dancing and celebrating at the wedding.
- Callie and Mariana hug at the wedding.
Throughout Good Trouble
- "We're Adams Fosters. We don't give up, we don't give in. We fight. And we have each other - we're not alone."
- —Callie to Mariana
Callie and her adoptive sister, Mariana, are on the highway heading for Los Angeles. They are recapping the last few years of their lives, with Callie having graduated from law school and now clerking for a federal judge. The sisters are singing and dancing in their seats, laughing as the head to their new apartment. They park and begin to realize that things aren't how they expected them to be. Callie recognized the Coterie as a different kind of living arrangement and is shocked to learn that it is a communal living apartment and that her sister lied to her - again. Once outside, their U-Haul has been towed and they have to pay a large sum of money to get it back. When they find it, they are appalled to learn that they had been robbed, and the only things left in the U-Haul were their mattresses.
From there, they head to a little thrift store to get clothes for the morning and have fun in the shop. They befriend the owner and dance with her, play with the clothes, dress-up in silly outfits, and even find some dolls that resemble them. Ultimately, the find the clothing that they need for the next day and head back to the Coterie. Back at the Coterie, Mariana falls asleep almost instantly, while Callie has more difficulty.
On their second night, Callie and Mariana talk about their days and both lie about how amazing their jobs are. They then attend communal dinner with the rest of the residents and learn more about their new roommates and Callie learns about the Jamal Thomspon case from Malika. At some point in the night, Callie confronts Gael and tells him that she wants to keep what happened to them a secret because Mariana likes him. They have sex again that night, and Callie immediately expresses guilt and says that it can't happen again. That night, Callie admits to Mariana that she slept with Gael which causes a fight between them and Callie expresses that she doesn't want to live at the Coterie. Mariana states that she does and leaves the room.
Mariana faces a hard day at work when she is chewed out by the HR woman in front of all her male co-workers. She is humiliated and leaves the cafeteria that she is sitting in and breaks down in tears. At the courthouse, Callie receives a call from Mariana where she is just sobbing. Mariana expresses that she needs her, and while Callie denies at first, she shows up at Speckulate in a matter of minutes. The sisters embrace and Mariana sobs into her sister's shoulder, while Callie attempts to soothe her.
They head to the roof of the building and talk about how rough things have been, and Mariana expresses that she feels alone and hates her job. Callie mimics this feeling and expresses how much she doesn't enjoy her job, and both sisters sit in their own sorrows for several minutes. Mariana states that she is thinking about just quitting and going back home to their moms. Callie encourages Mariana not to give up and reminds her that they are Adams Fosters, they don't give up - they fight. She reminds Mariana that they aren't alone and that they have each other.
At the Coterie, Mariana and Callie are having wine while dipping their feet in the water. They apologize for their actions toward one another, and Callie admits that she slept with Gael again. They look over at Gael's loft where he is beginning to undress and are shocked to see that Gael has another man over. Gael and the man begin to kiss and seem to be hooking up, and Callie guzzles the rest of her wine, while Mariana gives up her claim to him saying that her sister can have him.
- "Don't worry, I'm not gonna nark on you."
- —Callie to Mariana
- "I'm sorry I just... I'm going to miss you."
- —Mariana to Callie
- "I know, I was just starting to feel like I had a sister."
- —Mariana about Callie
- "Mariana: Aww, I miss you. I really thought we were going to be sisters.
Callie: Yeah, I miss you too."
- "I've been kind of scared, sleeping alone since Callie left."
- "Mariana: You know we've got you, right?
Callie: Yeah, I know."
- "Don't worry, I've got your back."
- —Mariana to Callie
- "Callie: I can’t believe you moved us into a commune.
Mariana: I did not move us into a commun... Exactly."
- —Cariana argue
- "Callie: Are you okay?
Mariana: No. I need you."
- —Callie and Mariana's phone call
Notes and Trivia
- They are foster and adoptive sisters.
- Mariana and Callie originally didn't like one another, however, they became best friends after the got to know each other more.
- They told each other a lot of secrets growing up.
- They were forced to share a room when Callie's living situation with the Fosters became more permanent. While the girls didn't like this at first, they grew to love it.
- During the first few weeks of living together, Callie thought Mariana stole her journal, even though she really didn't. Callie later apologized for this mistake.
- Callie kept Mariana's secret about being the real one to steal and sell Jesus' pills.
- Mariana was a little scared to sleep alone in the room after Callie left the house.
- Callie helped Mariana get the moms permission to be on the roller derby team.
- According to Callie, Mariana breathes differently when she's sleeping, while Mariana claims that Callie snores.
- Callie also stated that Mariana sleeps like a dead person, and when someone tries to wake her up, it's the equivalent of unleashing a beast.
- Callie thinks Mariana looks like a, "cute Clark Kent" in her reading glasses.
- They help each other pick out outfits for dates.
- Mariana once called Callie, "attractive just not vulnerable".
- Callie once called Mariana a, "cute Steve Jobs".
- Mariana introduced Callie to "glamping" when they went on the family camping trip.
- They once bought a car together using both of their job money.
- Mariana slept with and briefly dated, Callie's ex-boyfriend, Wyatt Casey.
- They give one another both relationship and life advice.
- They're each other's best female friend.
- Mariana took the job in California to be close to Callie, who was originally going to be living in San Francisco. When Callie announced she was going to LA instead, Mariana decided to take a job in Los Angeles and the pair planned to become roommates.
- They have an apartment together in Los Angeles.