Tragedy strikes the Fosters and they must look to each other for strength. Stef confronts Mike about Ana, and he comes clean about why he was at the halfway house the night of Ana's disappearance. Meanwhile, Wyatt seeks relationship advice from a very uncomfortable Brandon, and Mariana is still furious with Jesus for putting her in the middle of his girl problems.
- Lena and Stef named the baby Francesca "Frankie" Adams Foster, in honor of Stef's father, Frank Cooper.
- 3 sets of people visited the Fosters' home.
- Lena is told to be suffering from preeclampsia, a complicated pregnancy condition brought on by stress, and was ordered to deliver her baby early.
- Jude finally speaks again after his brief mute period. Once to answer his sister, and the second to deliver a speech about a flower with parts to each quality, in honor of Frankie.
- Lena loses her baby.
- Lena told Stef that Brandon consumed marijuana.
- Brandon went through two nervous moments when he thought Lena told Mike about him and Dani and the same to his mother.
- Callie finally tells Wyatt about Liam, which was the reason to why she pulled away went they were becoming intimate.
- Wyatt asks Brandon for advice about Callie.
- Brandon and Callie speak briefly about their relationship.
- This is the second time this season the Fosters family is at a hospital. The first time was during Things Unknown when, shown in a flashback, Brandon was in the hospital after getting beaten up by Vico.
- The episode title, Mother, is referring to Lena potentially being a biological mother to Frankie and Dana's speech to Lena about what it means to be a mother.